
Okay, it's been a few days since my last post. My husband has had some time off- his idea of routine is different from mine...
So, now he's back on his work schedule- I had a chance to ride!
Decided I was going to see how well Bling would handle going a bit farther away from home. The first trip down the road- she made it to the corner, turned around and cantered home- quickly! She wanted to head right back up to the dry lot & acted a bit out of control, but I stayed on!
I turned her back around & headed off down the road again. This time we turned the corner & kept going. A few vehicles went by- she didn't seemed bothered a bit by them. The road grader even came into town- again, she couldn't care less!
Feeling brave I took off a mile down the road to my neighbor's house- where she came from. I wanted to see how she would react to seeing her old pasture mates again. I was surprised to trot her right past them- she didn't even glance over their way!
Carl's dog barked in warning that we had arrived- and he came out to see. I think he was impressed & surprised- because it wasn't exactly the nicest day out. We visited, while Bling practiced standing patient. She did wonderfully.
As we trotted back home- I wished I had strapped on my GPS so I could see just how fast she trots out. I am almost sure it is at least 10+mph. I am so excited- she is going to be so much fun!!
Afternoon update: I wasn't sure if I was going to try to ride today, but the weather shaped up so nicely- I didn't have a good excuse not to!
Bling seemed a bit apprehensive as I swing my leg up over the saddle. She seems to be 'getting' the routine & was ready to go! We took a 'warm up' stroll around the pasture, then headed into town. Nothing bothered her- though she was well aware of the change in the pavement, when it went to wet, dry or had a crack or anything. I am thoroughly okay with this, as I have had the experience of my mule stepping into a hole and both of us falling on our faces! Not pleasant! Maybe Bling will make sure this doesn't happen with her!
We stopped over at Carl's again- she seemed to want to tell him to "Please take me back- I liked standing around in your pasture (getting FAT)- better than this riding thing she wants to do all the time!' :P
In total, it was only a 3 mile ride around town today. It was just great to be outside, on a good horse & to enjoy the bit of sunshine we had today.
...Oh! I know it doesn't show in the picture- 'it' was taken yesterday. But, I DID lower my stirrups two holes! Now I don't look so much like I'm headed off to the races!
...Thanks for reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment