Friday, January 9, 2009

This morning's temps were decent- so I didn't hesitate to saddle up Bling.

Today I fitted my Wintec endurance saddle to her, and tried a different bit- a tom thumb snaffle type. She didn't go around the pasture as willingly as she did the last time I rode her. I blamed myself, as I didn't feel as secure in my 'English type' saddle. I also kept in mind that my husband burned some wood piles the day before, so maybe she was wanting to stay away from that part of the pasture.

I didn't care for the bit I was trying- she didn't want to turn left and I didn't want to pull on her too hard. After a few rounds, she settled in to what I was asking and we were both gaining confidence.

My neighbor drove past and saw that we were out there and decided to stop by. He wasn't feeling too well, mentioning he had fallen off his tractor during a dizzy spell. So I rode Bling up into the yard so we could visit.

She started off not wanting to walk off too far from the dry lot- I might have to be dealing with some 'barn sour' issues. After she discovered I wasn't going to give up, she would take a few more steps out- then several more, until we walked all around the yard and back up the driveway.

I found out today that Bling may not have many riding miles at all. I was told that she spent some time raising a couple mule babies, and I know she spent the past two years standing around in pasture.

I know I have work to do with her-

I'm spoiled by my mule TAZ. I can just hop on her and ride 10-15 miles and not have much to worry about. I also put 7 years of riding into her- Bling and I will get there!!

No comments: