Thursday, February 19, 2009

On Order & Update

Just ordered a new Garmin Forerunner 305- with the heart rate monitor. I've had the 201 for several years now- I've used it A LOT!! So, I was excited when they came out with the h/r model.

I also ordered a V Max adaptor kit to work along with it. Now I hope 'we' can figure it all out & get it up and running after it gets here!

How nice it will be to SEE the heart rate & keep record of everything. Also makes it easier to post conditioning rides, etc on my log.

I still feel it's important to know how to take your horse's vitals without all the fun gadgets- but they are a useful tool.

...I wasn't sure if I was going to get to- but as the day progressed, it got warm enough to try & ride.

Brought TAZ in, then notice Bling is in heat- She was over by Lil Man's pen- (our mini donk) just letting him bite all over her & she was shoving her beautiful long tail in his face! Lil Man's idea of a 'good time'- tempted to take a mouth full of tail and riping it out- no way I was I going to let that happen! ...So- I caught her up & put her in her stall!
Had to take some extra time to curry off the dried on mud off of TAZ- I couldn't get through the grooming routine fast enough!

My goal today was just to take it easy & enjoy what I could in 5 miles. We would trot half of it. TAZ is usually SLOW heading out- I know she gets bored going the same routes. But, unless I haul away- there's only North, South, East or West!

It sure would be NICE to get some permission to ride out on some private land- but I never liked asking for ANYTHING- I may have to soon-

I had my insulated bib overalls on & a head band covering my ears under my helmet- but wished I had brought some gloves! I was okay most of the time, until we headed towards home- riding against the cold breeze.

There was more semi traffic than usual on the main road going home- so I took a chance and cut through a field that leads into the back of our place. I think this was TAZ's favorite part of the ride. She knew the 20 some deer hang out around there- she could sense them.

She boogied home and we were short just a 1/4 mile of our 5 mile goal- no biggie!

My hands were red and stiff from being so cold- lesson learned!

...Hoping I can get out & ride Bling on a 5 mile loop soon!!

No comments: